Breast cancer is one of the most common cancers among women. In fact, 1 in every 8 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer at some point in her life. Furthermore, it is the 2nd leading cause of death among women worldwide. Therefore, awareness is very important because early detection can help catch cancer at a more treatable stage, and help saves lives. This inspired us to create CuraVue, a web platform that uses machine learning to detect breast cancer, using mammogram data. This will greatly help women to regain control of their health.
What it does
When the user arrives to our platform, they will come to the homepage where they can learn more about the website, such as what we do, how it works, etc.
How we built it
- HTML, CSS: frontend
- Python/Flask: backend
- ML: for analyzing data
- Cockroach DB: for storing user data
- Twilio: email/login
Best Domain from Domain.com
Challenges we ran into
There were quite a few challenges we had while building this project.
- We had to brainstorm and come up with a feasible idea that was innovative and could be implemented within the given time frame.
- Some of our teammates did not have much experience using building a website and they had to learn more about it especially when it came to fixing issues.
- Due to the difference in the time zone, we had some difficulty collaborating, but we managed to get the project done.
- Moreover, implementing Twilio and using ML was a bit difficult as this was our first time.
Accomplishments that we're proud of
- Completing the project under the given time frame.
- Using Twilio for email as well as user verification
- Implementing ML to get desired results
- Using an aesthetically pleasing UI
- Building a great website that is user-friendly and adheres to the theme
What we learned
- Collaboration with other developers
- Implementing Twilio
- Utilizing Python/Flask with ML for backend
- Efficient time management
What's next for CuraVue
- Building mobile app
- Adding more features(contact doctor, etc)