The lack of intuitive assessment to professors on current USC course selection website, and the complication of selecting section of interested courses without time conflict.
What it does
Intuitively and dynamicly showing students' assessment to professors of each course, and automaticlly recommending interested courses' section without time conflict.
How we built it
- Utilized Python and Beautiful-Soup to crawl course information from USC website and professors' assessment from "ratemyprofessor".
- Built a back-end server using php, and stored information in database using MySQL.
Challenges we ran into
- Integrating codes developed by teammembers on different platforms.
- Quickly studying new technologies such as data visualization withd3.js.
Accomplishments that we're proud of
- Implemented beautiful dynamic webpage such as word cloud and timetable successfully
- Achieved deep information integration
What we learned
- word cloud
- web crawling
- data visualization
What's next for CourseTrojan
- Broading the database by larger number of course information and professors' information.
- Developing maturer algorithm for course section recommendation system.
- Developing more amzing UI with fullpage scrolling