Play at http://finegamedesign.com/dotdot
By Ethan Kennerly
A game jam with the theme voted for "Connected Worlds" during Ludum Dare 30 (Weekend of August 22 to August 24)
Post compo features:
- Tuned illustrations.
- Connect animation and musical notes from a song by Jade Brewer.
- New name ".." (DotDot).
Playtesters: Diana Salles, Jennifer Russ, Bethany.
Post compo playtesters: Anders, Aubrey, Kerry. Inspired by conversation with Matt and Diana at http://themade.org
What went right:
- Memorizing: Dots to connect is surprisingly challenging even at your own pace.
- No words: Matt suggested connect the dots and Diana had ideas about constellations. Jennifer and Beth also playtested, which clarified the tutorial. No words needed to play.
- Drawing: Exported Flash drawings to Adobe Illustrator format and wrote a Python script to parse them into a JSON-like object. Clean separation of model and view.
What went wrong:
- A bug that showed another drawing after the end of the game cost hours.
- Wasn't satisfied with 8-bit sounds, so didn't add sounds post-compo version.
- Dots were too exact until post-compo version.
- Wasn't clear about a scoring system until the post-compo version.