Made possible by WILL SDK and MyScript API.
It is scientifically proven that handwriting stuff increases memorization rate by 30% (can vary depending on person). This is why it is recommended to take handwriting notes during classes (even though slides are available) or write words in foreign language we want to learn. We want to use this fact to create more effective education tools.
Another thing we want to improve is usability of education assessment apps on smartphones. These apps typically work as selection quiz when you need to tap on the correct answer. Typing in the answer on the small phone keyboard is very inconvenient for the user, it is damaging app user experience. That's why apps do not ask their users for this. But it's very limiting.
For instance when we are writing new language, writing the correct word on you own is totally different from selecting it from the list. The former increases your learning effectiveness to much higher extent. But in such cases it's convenient to write the answer in smartphone app using pen (or fingers).
In our app we shown quiz example when user is supposed to write characters in Russian language. This type of exercises would not be possible with just standard phone keyboard. In general usage of smartphone apps in education is continuously increasing. They are applied more often in the classrooms and for distant learning. That is why we think it is very important to make them useful, effective and fun tools.
About this app
Connected Pen Quizzes is multimedia online assessment app for education sector that leverages MyScript API for handwriting tasks & exercises to make learning more effective and more engaging Product can be used in a:
- Single practice mode: Various types of multimedia questions, additional background information and free text handwriting answers.
- Multiplayer mode: Friendly battle between 2 students trying to select or write the correct answer as quickly as possible. In this mode 2 devices are synchronized and user need to answer quicker.
- Classroom mode: Teacher starting quiz for students and seeing results being updated in real-time. In this mode a lot of students can participate at the same time, so students devices are not synchronized in a sense they can independently move on and answer different questions).
Cool feature - sound questions
Questions can have text, pictures but also sounds attach to it. That unlocks a lot of possibilities. For instance word in foreign language is being played and you need to write it down, melody is played and you need to draw the notes - that is all very simple with our engine!
How to use the app
There are several modes.
Basic single practice mode That is very straightforward to use. Just use the single mode from the menu, choose quiz category and quiz you want to play.We feature various types of picture questions and additional explanations are served to increase student understanding. If we do well we may earn badges.
Multiplayer mode In this mode one player needs to create the game. He is telling his name and chooses quiz he wants to play. New game is assigned a room number. Second player can join by putting in this number. If he does they both start to play the quiz selected by the first user who created the game. Users need not only answer correctly but also be faster to score more points! Please note that both devices need to have stable internet connection in order to have a smooth real-time battle.
Classroom mode In the classroom mode teacher can start the assessment by telling how many students he wants to join. Then he's selecting quiz we want students to run. Quiz is not going to start until declared number of students join.
App features over 1,000 different quiz questions at the moment ! With some we server additional background information (visible in single practice mode).
Custom quizzes and web panel
Right now basic custom quizzes can be defined directly from within the device. We are also in process of integrating this app with our online web panel (Class++) to be able to more easily manage quizzes and students (statistics, quiz history etc.) Please let us know if you want to test that and we will give you login credentials.
Other app features
In general this is big project that we have been developing in a team over the last couple of months. Not all features are presented on the video. It also uses some other SDK to support things like
- in-app payments for paid quizzes (for this app version all quizzes have been unlocked)
- Magnet SDK to support chat and messaging.
- our proprietary module to handle map game (user can pick countries on the map) Handling handwriting (user may both write with his fingers or in-built pen) and integration with MyScript recognition engine is the latest addition. But we think it may give this product a truly competitive edge. Apps has not been published on any open app store yet but we believe that at the current stage is well tested and is market-ready. App can also run on Android tablet devices but UI was not fully adjusted for big tablet screens . For the best user experience with pen-writing questions we recommend to use Android smartphone device with inbuilt pen (like Samsung Note).
Goal of the app is not only to provide pure amusement but also to learn users new things. In the end we think that fun is the best teacher and friends competition is the best motivation !