Kevin Agolli && Jeffrey Liu
 Team 40

 For our final project, we decided to a create a kitchen timer that played a sequence of vibrations when the timer hit zero. We chose this because we were sick and tired of the annoying buzzer sound that traditional kitchen timers made. The main focus, however, is that as technology continues to modernize, our kitchen timer is adjusted wirelessly to pave the path of future kitchen appliances, making it easier to set the timer, while allowing the user to possibly hang the timer. Our original idea was to create a Connect 4 game, that was played on hardware. We were both students taking CIS 120 and decided to take on the challenge of making the game playable on hardware. We found difficulty working with the LED matrix and when we finally got it to control the red lights, we ran into more difficulties. We could not get both the red and green lights to get power and to be controlled at the same time. After looking online, another piece of hardware to control the LED matrix would be needed, but after speaking to the TA, the part would not arrive in time. Therefore, we decided to switch to a kitchen timer.
 On the first day of demos, we were able to set up the hardware for the LED matrix and bluetooth controller. We got a single red light to to move horizontally along a row on the LED matrix. For the final demo, we changed our project and made presets for the LEDs to display numbers and changed to the bluetooth controller to adjust for the changes. Additionally, we made these changes in our code, which was the majority of our changes.
 The first major subsystem was wiring the LED matrix with 8 rows and 8 columns. Our LED-matrix was dual color and has 12 pins on two sides. The way it works is that the pins are separated into groups of 3 pins. For each group, one pin controls the lights of a certain row, and the other 2 pins control whether that row of lights is red or green. Since our timer only uses red, we didn’t use the green pins, meaning we wired a total of 16 pins. Each of these pins were wired to the digital and analog pins on the slave arduino in order to be read and controlled. Our next subsystem was creating the code for our matrix to work. In our code, we created a byte array, where each row on the matrix is represented by a 8-bit byte. We then developed a function that would take in this byte array and manipulated the board so that when a 0 is read, that light would turn on, and if a 1 is read, then it would be off (logically, this is the opposite of how it should work, but we could not get specific lights to light up if we did it the other way). The next subsystem was setting up the master arduino with the necessary buttons for our timer to work. Next, we linked up the bluetooth to respond to button clicks. We set up the code such that the master sent the letter “U” if the increase button was pressed and the letter “D” if the decrease timer button was pressed. We then set up a buzzer on the slave arduino and set it up so it plays a little song when the timer hits 0. For the song itself, we referenced the internet as it was too difficult to try and test different notes to create something listenable. Finally, we worked on the loop function in our code. In our loop function, if a “U” is read, our code checks if the byte array is equal to a premade array for a specific number. If it is, then it changes the array to the array of the next number. If a “D” is read, the same thing happens, but it does the number below this time, and we have a while loop so that it continues to decrement. We made a timer system in the code so that it decrements every second (delay() was not good in our case as it stops the program).
 Our project would be turned into a real product with a few changes. We would need to add more functionally, to be able to set longer times for the timer along with the additional buttons to adjust for this change. We would also place a larger buzzer, so the sound could be heard from rooms outside of the kitchen. Finally, our product would need proper housing to project the hardware from the elements of the kitchen.
  Some improvements we could make include adding additional settings such as minutes and hour modes. Also settings to select different sounds that the buzzer would make could be implemented.
Share this project:

Updates