According to the World Health Organization (WHO), last year 14% of India's population suffered from mental health ailments, including 45.7 million suffering from depressive disorders and 49 million from anxiety disorders. Especially in this Covid pandemic, when most of the countries went into lockdown, it is very easy for people to feel alienated, unmotivated, and stressed which when coupled with anxiety, overthinking and irritation have led few to self-harm with some even losing their lives to mental health.
Mental health is an aspect of everyone's life, although, for some, it's more of a struggle than for others, especially at college where students are facing new and stressful stimuli every day. With a large population now working from home and staying away from loved ones, the mental health situation has deteriorated. As such, it becomes important to track and remedy any problems before they get too serious. We try to achieve this using the Companion App.
What it does
This app would be effective in providing guidance in lifestyle and motivation to get relief from mental health issues and also making therapy more accessible, efficient, and portable.
How we built it
- Planning requirements for the mental health tracker app, making the user flow, and writing the user stories.
- Creating low-fidelity wireframes for visualizing the app structure.
- Designing proper high-fidelity user interface of the application on Figma by taking inspiration from dribble and Behance.
- Initializing firebase for the project and forming the backend architecture with the help of Firebase database and authentication API.
- Performing sentiment and emotional analysis either with the help of TensorFlow or Expert.ai APIs on the text entered in the user’s journal.
- Start developing the frontend of the app in flutter with the help of various libraries and packages as per the UI mockup.
- After completing the frontend, test the app for bugs. Also, run it on virtual or physical devices of different screen sizes hence verifying the app’s responsiveness.
- We would be using Github to save our work in a single repository which would enable us to collaborate remotely and update it on a regular basis.
- After the final testing, release the app in production mode and ship the final build ready to be run on android devices.
What we learned
We have implemented the project by using flutter, firebase majorly. Various APIs like YouTube, quotes and GitHub played an integral role in completion of the project. Tech used -
- YouTube API - It was used to fetch motivational videos for the user.
- Quotes API – It was used to fetch quotes which are displayed randomly based on each time the user opens the application.
- Firebase – Firebase is used for authentication of users and for storing user data.
- GitHub – We used GitHub for storing raw JSON of specialist data which we scraped from an open database website.
What's next for Companion App
- Create memes for fun
- Mini arcade games to relax mind
- Sleep stories to calm the user down
- Reminders to eat regularly/ drink water
- Emotional (sentiment) analysis for tailored recommendations
- Notifications to take feedback on improvement after completing some activity
- Connect the app to a smart watch to track sleep, fetch step count and even monitor heart & respiratory rate with the help of phone camera sensor
- An accountability buddy system where each user is paired with a buddy so that they can follow along on each other’s journey, providing support & motivation
- Make the app available in regional languages
- Integrate journals blogs and exercises.
Log in or sign up for Devpost to join the conversation.