Photos provide a unique view into the lives of our ancestors and relatives, but viewing them in black and white places them at a certain distance. Viewing the same images in color brings them to life like nothing else can. Colorized historical photos can spark interest in the past, and help us relate more personally to events and people from times gone by. It allows us to view these photographs in an entirely new way, giving us new perspectives on the people and places who made us who we are today. Imagine seeing your grandparents’ wedding photo in color for the first time, or noticing the small details portraying life on the streets of New York a hundred years ago. When you view the colorized images next to the original black and white photos, you’ll be amazed by the difference.
What it does
Colour photos in just one single step. Bring life to those boring black and white photos
How is this tool helpful?
- Relive the past: Revisit old memories (photos)
- Add a dash of colour to boring black and white photos
How we built it
Magic! Just kidding - deep learning. Deep learning uses a neural network and a training set to learn from black and white photos and their colored counterpart. Once the model has been fed many photos it learns how to color photos.
Challenges we ran into
- Finding a suitable deep learning model to use for the application
- Bringing the application together
Accomplishments that we're proud of
- Our application is able to colour most of the black and white images pretty accurately
What we learned
- We learnt about Deep Learning, computer vision and Image processing using python
What's next for Colour-me
- Have support to colour black and white videos on the fly.