Found your match!
- Finding people with a certain profile at big events can be quite challenging - think about team building at the TECHFEST, finding relevant contacts at a trade fair or dating at the Oktoberfest
What it does
- Finds people with matching profiles in your immediate vicinity
- When a match is found, both bracelets light up in the SAME color => you should talk to each other!
How I built it
- Connected a NodeMCU to a band of RGB LEDs
- Implementation of the matching algorithm with Lua
- Using WiFi SSID to encode preferences
- Scanning available SSIDs to identify people with similar interests in your immediate vicinity
- Hashing profile and nodeID to determine a common RGB color
- Designed a stylish casing
Challenges I ran into
- Appropriate and consistent handling of multi-user situations
- Automatic update of profiles using AWS shadows
Accomplishments that I'm proud of
- Prototype that works really well looks very stylish
What sets ColorBand apart from similar concepts
- Once the profile is saved on the device, it actually works indepently of other technology (no WiFi/network access or smartphone required)
- Wide area of applications: Advanced Speed-Dating, Fast group builing process (Search/Offer), Contact fair – Company job offers for a certain department, ...
- Fancy design
What's next for ColorBand
- Loading your profile from LinkedIn, FaceBook, Tinder, ... to the device on the click of a button
- Creating other designs for different use cases (name tags that light up, pendants, ...)