As a senior in high school, I struggle to find colleges that are tailored to my strengths. I decided to create a tool that would make choosing the right schools hassle-free!
What it does
Locates colleges/universities near a student's current location based on his/her SAT and GPA. Students can edit the range of colleges they are looking for up to 100.0 miles. The user can scroll through an array of recommended colleges, view a certain college's information when it is clicked, and view it on a map. A user creates an account with their email and inputs their test scores directly from registration. They can edit their information within the app.
How we built it
Dependencies Utilized: Java, Android Studio IDE, Firebase Authentication + Storage + Realtime Database, Google Places API, Picasso Image Library, FusedLocationProviderClient
Challenges we ran into
- Extracting more than one college from return
- Getting location of institutions directly from API
Accomplishments that we're proud of
- Creating a clean switching UI to see both the college information and its pinpoint on a map
- Allowing user to change GPA/SAT and update immediately
- Implementing a dark mode view for more readability
What's next for CollegeScope
- Allow user to enter extracurriculars to match colleges more accurately.
- Favorite colleges and view them on separate page