I found a working API that was a pleasure to use, the EPA's emission data. So I based my project around it.
What it does
Shows concentrations of different emissions across US counties.
How I built it
Pulled 150 csv's from the EPA's database. Threw them into a mongodb. Added up emissions over counties. Created a d3 map of the US with counties. Filled in the counties with color.
Challenges I ran into
d3 on the run was a huge pain. Thankfully there are wonderful people out there with guides.
Accomplishments that I'm proud of
Figuring out how to zoom on the map. That was pretty much the cherry on top for me after 20 hours of work.
What I learned
What's next for cleanhack
auto updating db pulls from API