We love dancing, yoga and strength training. After all the restrictions imposed by the effects of Corona, our favourite studios closed down. They're facing a very challenging situation where they could go out of business. At the same time, our friends, colleagues and ourselves are wrecking our heads with our new lifestyle, staying at home falling behind keeping our bodies thus minds healthy, even more getting disconnected.
We help wellness studios remain financially healthy while helping people be mentally and physically healthy.
What it does
Circl is a platform where you can find virtual realtime group classes for the activities you love, provided by boutique wellness studios.
How it works:
- Find the studio / classes you like
- Subscribe for a weekly (to be A/B tested) membership
- Before the class we'll send you an invitation link to the virtual group streaming session
What is a virtual realtime group experience? It's realtime group class that you attend through a video group call platform. Just as in an on-site class:
- You can see the coach
- You can see the other participants
- You can ask questions
- You will have fun all together!
Why subscribing to a studio, but not use Bruce / Classpass model?
We believe in dedication and progress, the freedom of constant choice and change removes depth. So find the circl you feel good about, and stick to it! <3
How we built it
We used WordPress for the website ( we are not frontend developers, but we managed quite well!). We made a custom plugin to integrate user authentication. We provide social login and used Firebase.
Challenges we ran into
- Pricing model for studios - Our hypothesis is that having the same membership prices and subscription length (usually monthly) that studios have now will not work really well. Why? Because people fear to subscribe on a longer term since they fear getting sick, or they are not willing to pay the same amount for a virtual experience. We will test with different acquisition strategies and we shall see.
- We didn't manage to sign contracts with the companies we work for (Spotify & Viaplay) however due to the overall financial hit. However they got our back and will do internally everything possible to incentivise their employees. Another challenge is acquiring customers but being part of large wellness networks as well as technical we have a plan to hustle.
- Legal - We had no idea how to craft a contract in no time, in order to sign with Studios.
- And other stuff we have no time to write too much!
Accomplishments that I'm proud of
We are proud to have established deep connection and trust with one of the best boutique studios in Sweden. Since they lack technical knowledge, we guided them to start providing their services online and come up together with a pricing strategy.
What I learned
- We learnt to accept what life gives us, and make the best out of it.
- We learnt the ins and outs of boutique studios, and very important, their real current situation.
- We learnt about Wordpress
What's next for Circl
- Go live ( 01.04, no joke!)
- Hustling and getting customers on the platform. We will use our large networks in the tech industry and social media circles. Winning this hackaton would mean a lot for creating wellness awareness. <3
- Onboard studios in different areas and from different parts of the world
- Onboarding health and fitness coaches on the platform, offering personal online coaching.
Thank you for the opportunity to attend!