Team: Deborah Ugo-Omenukwa (Lead Designer), Kristen Chen (Lead Developer)
Staying home for almost a year has opened our eyes to how lazy and irresponsible some of our siblings and/or roommates can be. Whether it be among siblings or roommates dividing chores are a hassle as everyone wants an “equal” amount of chores or the “easy" chores. When you delegate roles, people tend to forget and are not held accountable for their assigned chores. They also tend to claim they were never told. It’s hard to keep track of how many toilet paper or trash bags you have and who should restock.
💻 What it does
- Delegate chores by the head of household or by the online generator.
- Holds the roommate/sibling accountable by having a notification sent to the roommate to remind them of their daily chores.
- Monitors household inventory and reminds household members when an item is running low.
- Can delegate roommates/siblings to restock items that are running low or gone.
- Slideshow Presentation
🔨 How we built it
👩🎨 Designing: We first brainstormed app ideas based on what on our own personal experiences and what we thought we needed. Led by Deborah, we created a prototype on Figma, with multiple screens and graphics.
👩💻Coding: We then used Mac's XCode to bring our app to life using the Swift language and the SwiftUI framework.
🧠 Challenges we ran into
- Finding teammates w/ similar skill sets and ideas. However, the GWC Global Team was helpful in bringing our team together. 💭
- Designing a mobile app on Figma, as it was our first time. 🎨
- Balancing complexity and simplicity given the time frame and our different skill sets. 🕐
🏅 Accomplishments that we're proud of
Completing a well-designed project that we are truly passionate about and that can help a lot of roommates, siblings, and even adults. 🌟
📖 What we learned
- How to design and make a prototype on Figma.
- How to quickly turn the prototype into a (rough) working app.
- The importance of teamwork and communication.
🚀 What's next for Chore Lite
- Implementation of back-end to store user information.
- Integrating Google Firestore for user authentication.
- Making a "photo of proof" feature.
- Making an android version.