When planning AfricaHacks 2020, we wanted to issue airtime/internet data to thousands of participants across many countries so they can join live sessions. Read more about why I created Chimoney here.
- There is no easy way to send a flexible reward/gift globally asking for private information
- The gap results in sending gifts that many people do not redeem
- Many recipients are left disgruntled and engagement suffers because in some parts of the world people pay by the minute for each megabyte of data they use
What it does
- As an event organizer or employer, I can quickly issue Chimoney, and I can be confident that my budget will not be exceeded.
- As a receiver, I am not tied to an item or credit or gift card. Chimoney gives me options, and I locale airtime/phone credit, mobile money topup, fiat or even crypto.
- There’s price transparency policed by the receiver of Chimoney.
How I built it
It's built by first talking to users. And after the MVP was built, we issued the simple "tokens" to users who then redeem them. Then we integrated with the non-custodial Signup.cash wallet to enable easy onboarding of users that are new to Crypto. No need to download a wallet to get started.
Challenges I ran into
- Security of web wallet was a considering but we decided to go with that since it brings on more people to the ecosystem. We also then recommend a mobile wallet.
- Reconciliation since senders of Chimoney are paying in Fait so it was a challenge to avoid FX losses. Now, we only redeem on the spot when users initiate.
- SLP Address: simpleledger:qpk0c0tj3tjgg5pepmtcaalvfm4vqjx6agh3dm9245
- BCH Address: bitcoincash:qpk0c0tj3tjgg5pepmtcaalvfm4vqjx6agm2xqs2t2