Chat for monday.com allows teams to collaborate directly inside monday.com
Fully-featured, familiar UI makes Chat super easy to use
Teams can chat in public channels about topics
You can @ mention a team member to get their attention
Add emoji to your chats to keep life interesting
Message team member directly in a private conversation
Share images and files directly in your chats for others to view and download
We love Monday.com and use it for all kinds of projects. However, we found ourselves using project item comments to communicate and wanted a dedicated way to chat with each other. Chat was born.
What it does
Chat allows you to chat with your coworkers inside Monday.com. It offers public/private channels, direct messages, voice messages, emoji reactions, and image + file sharing. Best of all, it's INSIDE Monday.com so you don't have to switch apps and lose context. Chat logs in using your existing monday.com account and automatically includes all your team members.
How we built it
With love and many, many hours pressing keys on computers.
Speaking seriously now... this is built with React and Meteor, running on AWS.
Challenges we ran into
- Monday.com OAuth is slightly atypical when using it for SSO, and we had to integrate in two different ways. Inside of Monday.com we leverage the user's JWT session token (verified then decoded), outside of Monday.com we use a more standard OAuth login flow.
Accomplishments that we're proud of
- It's INSIDE Monday.com which can save time.
- It's blazing fast. Send and receive messages instantaneously.
- A subtle, yet noticeable chime when you have a new message.
- Easily react with emoji.
- Uploading, thumbnail previewing, wide viewing, and downloading shared images.
- Voice recording feature.
What we learned
- Making a chat app inside Monday.com is hard!
- We're new to AWS, but it keeps surprising us (in very good ways) with all its features and with how easy it is to use.
What's next for Chat
- We are adding the ability to do calls and screen-share via BigBlueButton, hosted on AWS. This will likely be a premium feature.
- Native mobile apps (although the mobile-optimized webapp works well).
- GIFs! No chat app is complete without GIFs. However you pronounce it, we've got your back! You can, of course, paste a GIF in from your clipboard, and that will work fine, but a more native solution is in the works!