Inspiration

We got the idea from Acorns, an app which invests spare change to help the user save money over time

What it does

Change for Change rounds up each purchase with a linked credit card to the nearest dollar. This amount will be donated to charity of the user's choice.

How I built it

We utilized the Plaid API, and the website was created using JavaScript, Jade, HTML, and CSS.

Challenges I ran into

Learning how to use the Plaid API was initially difficult. It took a significant amount of adjusting before we were able to make use of the bank data.

Accomplishments that I'm proud of

None of us have experience with JavaScript, Jade, HTML, or CSS. The fact that we were able to learn these and build something cool in the span of 24 hours is a big accomplishment.

What I learned

We learned many new languages as well as how to develop on the front and back end.

What's next for Change for Change

Next we plan to connect Change for Change to actual bank accounts and set up the withdrawal process to make donations actually happen. Once we implement this, donating to charities will be much more frequent and convenient for users. With that, Change for Change will make progress towards combating inequality.

Share this project:
×

Updates