My sister had dyslexia when we were young, which also came in between when she wanted to seek psychological help for additional problems that she was going through. We went to the clinic, where my sister was asked to fill in the questionnaire. A child who couldn't even read or write properly was put in a spot to do something so stressful. This incidence has carved me inside out and I decided at a very young age that this needs to be changed. I studied Psychology and Neuroscience and sought for the solution. Until one day when I met my co-founder who has a deep interest in video-games. With our combined interest, we came up with a model where we tried to transform the self-reported psychological test with an easy, intuitive, and accessible solution of gamification.
What it does
We transform the traditional way of self-reported psychological testing by providing easy, intuitive, accessible, and engaging gamification solutions. This gamification environment will encourage people to be more willing to answer honestly and accurately compared to the clinic or a lab setting. By combining gamification and UX design, we provide an integrated experience that accommodates the needs of everyone. We also provide additional follow up resources to create mental health awareness and literacy.
How we built it
The game consists of a deck of cards where each card has a personalized graphical translation of the test question for a sensitive resonation with the user’s current state of mind. The user needs to select each card and drag that to the game board, which represents the set of possible options of answers. The game is over when all the cards are played. Then the user gets the results of the test based on selected options in an easy and sympathetic language for better understanding. We also provide follow up services such as finding the nearest therapist or more information on the related psychological condition, and next steps.
Accessibility is the key to our product, and we have achieved it by providing transparent information on the psychological tests in different languages with the user-friendly tutorial and results of the test. The card game is designed for the most common screen sizes, removing any barriers that electronic devices can introduce. We customized our card game and services using laws of 5E of usability for different age groups, languages, and other diverse aspects of the primary user or the proxy.
Challenges we ran into
Breaking through the glass ceiling is always difficult for creative minds. Digital acceptance of healthcare was the biggest barrier we were facing, however, the current pandemic proved the importance of shattering digital barriers and helped us uplift.
Accomplishments that we're proud of
- The Idea was awarded in the best in the “best innovation” category at a hackathon by WIG2 Institute
- The innovation which is for everyone
- Our first working prototype
- Recruiting and retaining great talent with no money
- Testing and Validation of the solution
What we learned
- Mental Health always comes at a cost of collateral damage, thus if it is not detected in an early stage then it has a long-lasting impact, not only on the affected person but on his family, social environment and society.
- There is a massive need to revolutionize the mental health space and how we talk about it. We need to make mental wellbeing accessible for everyone with easy, intuitive, and accessible solutions if we are thriving for a better future.
- This is what motivates us to pursue our mission of creating an innovation which is accessible and engaging self-assessed mental health care solution.
What's next for CareCards - The Easiest Way To Know How You Feel
Our next milestones are:
- Test validation in different scenarios (e.g. schools and educational institutions, at home, in clinic, research institutes..)
- Clinical evaluation of the test and reliability measurement.
- Connecting the test experience with follow up resources - for example partnerships with experts and service which support mental wellbeing.
- Implementation of the most relevant tests for society.
- Creating a comprehensive, intuitive and easy experience for the user from the beginning to the end.
- Finding partners which are interested in supporting mental health for their customers, employees or individuals to implement our solution.