We at CareCards have experienced the obstacles of mental healthcare either as a mental health professional or being patient. The horror of social stigma, lengthy and tedious psychological tests, unclear test results, and feelings of helplessness are no secrets. Thats why 4 out of 10 people in Germany suffer from mental health problems. Most of these people also have additional difficulties such as learning disabilities and these people are expected to fill out lengthy questionnaires. A person or a child who already has difficulties with reading and writing, is put in a spot to do something so stressful. These incidences have carved us and with our expertise in Neuropsychology, Software Engineering and Digital health expert, we at CareCards want to transform and revolutionize the mental health system with goal & Incentive-based gamified psychological screening. What it does
We transform the traditional way of self-reported psychological testing by providing easy, intuitive, accessible, and engaging gamification solutions. This gamification environment will encourage people to be more willing to answer honestly and accurately compared to the clinic or a lab setting. By combining gamification and UX design, we provide an integrated experience that accommodates the needs of everyone. We also provide additional follow up resources to create mental health awareness and literacy. How we built it
We created a game consisting of a deck of cards where each card has a personalised graphical translation of the psychological test question for a sensitive resonation with the user's current state of mind. The visual aid also helps users with learning disabilities.
The user needs to select each card and drag it to the game board, representing the set of possible answers. The game is over when all the cards are played.
We found that easy to understand results and direct access to follow up services such as finding the nearest therapist or more information on the related psychological condition and next steps are a key factor for a successful experience.
The same applies for consistency. Therefore we created a reward system that keeps the user engaged. Each step a user is taking is a goal. Each goal completion is rewarded depending on the age, test, condition, and results using CareCoins in the form of customised rewards provided by any potential partner, like schools, social institutions, research institutions, and hospitals.
All of the above combined is creating an experience that makes psychological testing accessible, easy, engaging and efficient.
Challenges we ran into
Breaking through the glass ceiling is always difficult for creative minds. Digital acceptance of healthcare, especially in Germany was the biggest barrier we were facing, however, the current pandemic proved the importance of shattering digital barriers and helped us uplift.
Accomplishments that we're proud of
- “Best innovation” award at a hackathon by WIG2 Institute
- “Engaging Mental Health Solution” award by PostCovid Hack 2020
- Winner of “COVID-19 Global Hackathon 2.0: Social & Mental Health”
- Winner of “Tech Takes On Mental Health Hackathon”
- Testing and Validation of the solution
What we learned
- Mental Health always comes at a cost of collateral damage, thus if it is not detected in an early stage then it has a long-lasting impact, not only on the affected person but on his family, social environment and society.
- There is a massive need to revolutionize the mental health space and how we talk about it. We need to make mental wellbeing accessible for everyone with easy, intuitive, and accessible solutions if we are thriving for a better future.
- This is what motivates us to pursue our mission of creating an innovation which is accessible and engaging mental health care solution.
What's next for CareCards
Our next milestones are:
- Test validation in different scenarios (e.g. schools and educational institutions, at home, in clinic, research institutes..)
- Clinical Evaluation of the test and reliability measurement.
- Connecting the test experience with follow up resources - for example partnerships with experts and service which support mental wellbeing.
- Implementation of the most relevant tests for society.
- Creating a comprehensive, intuitive and easy experience for the user from the beginning to the end.
- Finding partners which are interested in supporting mental health for their customers, employees or individuals to implement our solution.