There are three steps in this proposal:
- Display Biller Telephone Number in Caller ID Field
- Create fields for Call Type, Country Code and Robocall Warning
- FTC Databases for Carrier Assigned Local Telephone numbers and Disposable Telephone Purchases
The big selling points include
• The recommendations are simple and fast to implement. Only in Phase 3, if additional controls are needed, does this solution look to building databases and new regulations.
• Controls are applied when telephone calls enter the U.S. telephone network for every type of telephone channel.
• The consumer is offered maximum choice. The Federal government will not be accused of making decisions over which telephone calls the consumer can or can not receive. • The carriers are in the business of connecting calls, and this model connects the maximum number of calls and provides the environment where profits can be maximized. • Because the process increases transparency, the FTC will become more nimble in enforcement. As the manual effort to obtain a conviction is reduced, the FTC will be able to apprehend smaller and smaller robocallers.