Everyone loves points and rewards!
For every time you join a multiplayer session or an in-game stream the streamer should reward members of their community with perks, including a taste of benefits typically reserved for subscribers. That's why we built Bumblebee- a dedicated extension to make your time count while you watch the stream or play along.
P.S. The real reason is Twitch announced they're rolling out channel points API last year and we couldn't wait to build a gaming-integration functionality!
What it does
Rewards for the gaming community
Twitch extension that enables to manage and fulfill custom rewards with the following capabilities:
- Get Custom Rewards
- Create Custom Reward
- Update Custom Reward
- Delete Custom Reward
- Get Custom Reward Redemptions
- Update Redemption Status
Playing along with the audience and players through in game name.
How we built it
React for Twitch Extension Frontend-
Channel Points API Node Backend
Riot Games API
Challenges we ran into
- Handling Twitch OAuth Workflow
- Channel point API only having third party services support.
- Riot game API integration with realtime lobbies.
- Developer Rig environment setup
- Twitch authorization delay
Accomplishments that we're proud of
- Our first extension for a streaming service
What we learned
- Twitch Extension Development Lifecycle
- Broadcasting tool integrations
- Adding transports (Webhooks, Websockets)
- Authentication within twitch client
- Developer Rig
- Designing with Figma
What's next for Bumblebee
- Support for more games and more rooms for broadcaster.
- Refining the UI/UX
- Chatting with audience using websocket.io.
- Integrate gaming features right inside the extension for waiting rooms