We wanted to do something involving food . Students are poor and often don’t know how to cook and planning/ recipe inspiration can be one of the biggest barriers. Cooking can save both wallets and waistlines! Our goal is to give college students independence and responsibility in the kitchen and with their budget.
Easy, Accessible, TASTY!
What it does
The user enters a calorie goal and a weekly budget for food. The application randomly selects a list of recipes for the week that satisfy the caloric and monetary requirements and presents the list to the user with links to the recipes
How we built it
- Find, access, export, and clean data from public websites
- Import data, join, and group variables to create desired data base in CockroachDB
- Develop the front end web application using React and supported through Azure
- Connect the web application to the information in the database and develop an algorithm to select recipes using node.js
Challenges we ran into
- Comprehensive data sources were difficult to find and it took a lot of time to get the data into a workable format, merging information from various sources
Accomplishments that we are proud of
To get around the Cockroach DB compatibility issues, some members installed Ubuntu on a virtual machine Kristen and Ali figured out the database with a split apply combine paradigm to summarize price and calorie info We got a lot of help in getting Cockroach DB running on azure Jillian was really op with azure Isha did a lot of the Node js Creative solutions were employed
What we learned
We learned a lot about project management and budgeting time. In addition, CockroachDB, Azure, and React were new to us. For the next hackathon we will definitely install and test all the software in advance and make sure it is compatible with our laptops.
What's next for Budget Eats
1.Giving suggestions for a calorie goal based on user height, weight, exercise levels, and their weight goals 2.Having options for special diets 3.Including details on macronutrients, vitamins, etc 4.Possible movement to app 5.Linking to local prices and brands 6.Improving the aesthetics of the site