Often, bucket lists don’t come to fruition because people don’t know how to execute their plans. We wanted to create an app to inspire young adults to achieve the goals that they imagined to be too far from the present. Let BuckIt guide your journey.
What it does
Introducing the ultimate bucket list planner app - designed to turn your wildest dreams into reality. With our user-friendly interface, you can easily input and save all of your bucket list ideas in one convenient place. From there, our advanced algorithm generates personalized itineraries for you to follow, taking into account factors such as budget, time, and location. Whether you're planning a once-in-a-lifetime trip or trying to learn a new skill, our app has got you covered. With features such as mapping, budget tracking and even suggestions for local events and activities, you'll have all the tools you need to make your bucket list dreams a reality.
How we built it
- The front end was build through React-Native to support mobile iOS usage as the primary median. More specifically, we built it with Expo. This project has a Flask/Python backend with the intention of deploying to Heroku. The backend gathers user input and uses NLP and GPT-3 to analyze the query, assign it into a specific category, and utilizes Google Custom Search API to find local itineraries for said activity. The UI/UX was completed in Figma.
Challenges we ran into
- Some challenges we ran into include React-native compatibility issues and difficulty in implementing front-end UI in a timely manner. In addition, we were unable to complete the majority of the front end screens in the working demo. A majority of the development process was fine tuning and enhancing our algorithms to provide the best responses for a wide variety of bucket list items. The user flow was also difficult to pinpoint as we were attempting to cover a wide variety of AI queries.
Accomplishments that we're proud of
- A proud accomplishment we had was the successful implementation of backend services such as querying GPT-3 into Google Custom Search API in order to create a step-by-step personalized itinerary for the user.
- Our UX/UI Design team had greatly succeeded in making a clean, functional, user friendly design.
- Completion of a working iOS Expo demo.
What we learned
Our team felt inexperienced in the realm of mobile/React Native development. Towards the end of the project, each contributor grew in their own skill sets such as designing styled UI, mobile implementation, backend API integration, etc.
What's next for BuckIt
- Implementation of social platform features that allows other people to view and share bucket list progress and remaining activities.
- Fine-tuning GPT-3 Model to better suit itinerary planning
- Integration of travel service APIs to gather stronger pricing models and live planning and adjustments.
- Finalizing all screens into a working MVP