What it does
Bubbles is a location based bulletin app for sharing text to your location. You blow a bubble and type whatever you want into the bubble and then it is left at your location. Then when someone enters that location they can see the bubble in the app and pop the bubble, which will display the text.
How we built it
We built Bubbles with 100% Swift, taking advantage of Apple's CloudKit, MapKit, CoreAnimation, and CoreLocation libraries.
Challenges we ran into
None of the team had ever worked with CloudKit as a backend service. We went down quite a few very educational rabbit holes in Apple's documentation but we learned a ton.
Accomplishments that we're proud of
- We had fun, explored new frontiers, hacked an idea that we thought was interesting and usable and that we certainly intend to continue developing into the future, and we even got some sleep.
What's next for Bubbles
- Permanent bubbles that are editable from anywhere by the blower! A premium feature intended for businesses to be able to promote the daily special, the book of the week, or just thank their awesome customers.
- Similarly, customizable (within limits) bubble visibility and bubble durability - who can look at it, how many, and for how long.
- Expand the social interaction model to allow users to gain virtual points and feedback about their blown bubbles.
- Support for adding photos to your bubbles!