There's not enough tracking on the internet.
What it does
Browsermate is a configurable web extension that allows a responsible adult to recieve a text notification if the browser visits a specifed URL (i.e age-inappropriate)
How we built it
- Backend: Python flask web app
- Text Processing: OpenAI API calls
- Twilio: SMS Communication
Challenges we ran into
- OpenAi is a time thief.
- Githubs auth token scanner
- Guest Wifi/Eduroam
- Late Vegan Pizza delivery
Accomplishments that we're proud of
- Building something
What we learned
- Gained insight into the browser extension ecosystem.
- Experience deploying cloud hosted apps.
- Reinforces the importance of environment variables.
- A million tabs is too many tabs.
What's next for BrowserMate
- Multiple URL Support
- Content scanning.
- Keyword filtering.
- Agressive monetisation.