Social Issues (the Switch), avocados going bad (the Switch), helping the community (the Switch), making a difference and saving the planet (did I mention the Switch?)
Also knowledge, learning and participating in a Hackathon.
What it does
It's a website designed towards managing your food waste more efficiently and effectively, as this has become a major crisis over recent years and not enough is being done to solve this issue.
It is evident there are few apps and websites available that can help towards this, but most are outdated and rarely used, so we have created a simple, easy to use site for the Brighton and Hove area. To save ambiguity, it is up until the BN43 area.
When you make a purchase, you can either scan the item to get the expiration date and name, or enter the details manually. This is then sorted into a list which will remind the users a day before their items go off. It will then also prompt the user to donate their food, or suggest a recipe to use for said item of food.
If the user chooses to donate the item, it then would be put on a list, where other users can select the I'm Hungry button to see local people in the area offering food around them, such they can connect and organise to collect their food if they want it.
If the user decides they don't want to donate to a person, they can donate to a local food bank to go towards helping the homeless people get food to eat, that would otherwise have gone to waste.
How we built it
We used the website Repl.it in order to all interactively edit the code in real time in order to more effectively manage our time and management for the project. This also stopped us all working on exactly the same thing and over-writing each other's work without knowing. As it is mainly front-end work we did, we feel that this was the better option. If we were deploying back-end facilities we would probably use GitHub as it has the ability comment on the code that you have uploaded and explain your reasons.
Challenges we ran into
Bugs. Coffee. More Bugs. More Bugs More Bugs. Also
Initially some styling issues, we wanted to make it as user-friendly as possible. We then had some issues in implementing our list function as we thought about using things that were unfortunately outside our knowledge for the time limit provided. Our main bugs lied in the initial implementation of the scan feature, but this was solved through trial and error and research. These were new frameworks for us to use and this was our first Hackathon.
Accomplishments that we're proud of
What we learned
What's next for Brighton and Stove
Ideally, Brighton and Stove would utilise a database for it's login page. Also, we would experiment more with our scan feature and the OCRad.JS library to help the library learn different fonts used on expiry dates. We could additionally expand out to different regions if there is a demand for it.