Teachers are always finding out creative ways to make learning more fun and engaging for students. In this Covid -19 lockdown students are finding online learning dull and uninteresting as teachers lack engagement among students. Students are also daunted by exams and evaluations and therefore to make learning less stressful and more fun we implemented educational games , where students put their learning to test as well challenge their gaming skills.
What it does
Brainstormy is an intuitive web application for making customizable educational games. The goal of this project is to develop a multimedia software which will provide learning approach other than books. Teachers can maximize engagement of students by capturing the interest of learners and inspiring them to learn new things effortlessly through modern gaming approach. The gaming engine used in our application is based on Artificial Intelligence which can further enhance the overall learning experience.
Challenges we ran into
- Integrating deep learning was a challenging task as we had little idea about tensorflow js , eventually we worked upon it and integrated that in our website.
- We had put good amount of effort on the UI and building logic in the games as they were the key components of our website.
- Also designing database structure was a bit complicated as the various attributes were inter-dependent.
What we learned
We learned various gaming engines used for making scalable games on the web. We also researched about the existing educational games for gap identification which helped us in giving our project an edge over the other educational gaming softwares prevailing today. The existing educational games are based on MCQ(Multiple choice questions) which are not very captivating. We tried to integrate games which have various evaluation mechanisms such as fill in the blacks, voice based evaluations and also unleashing creativity among students through drawing doodles etc. Overall it was an exhilarating experience to design an innovative solution for students to learn new things with enthusiasm.
What's next for Brainstormy
- We can add pointers, leaderboards, badges etc to increase the engagement among students through peer competition
- Also we can extend our project to mobile based applications since they are portable and convenient to use.
- We can add more games which are subject specific like language grammar etc to increase reach of the audience.