In this hackathon, our team is inspired to create Book Barter to empower people to read books by enabling people to engage in a community of bookworms and allowing people to trade books with one another with ease. Statistically speaking, there has been a significant decrease of the number of people who read books. According to CNBC, 24 percent of American adults haven’t read a book in the past year. In addition, a person from a low-income background with lower levels of education is less likely to consume books. Henceforth, Book Barter is a free e-commerce trading platform for all people from different walks of life.

These are the questions we pondered about:

  • I want to read books but I don’t have the money to buy a new one. However, I have some spare books. How can I read new books to stimulate my brain?
  • How can we empower the disadvantaged and underprivileged people to buy books free of charge?
  • What if you want to read a new book without paying for that one?
  • How to meet and interact with other bookworms through an e-commerce platform?
  • How can I try out fresh genres from people who have loved their books?

What it does

  • Enables users to trade books in an e-commerce platform with ease
  • Allows people to handle trade requests by allowing users to send, accept and decline these requests
  • Matches book requests based on user’s preferences

Challenges we ran into

  • Our team has difficulty connecting the middleware to the frontend
  • Our team faced difficulties in communicating with each other due to time zone differences
  • With the time zone difference, some of us had to compromise by sacrificing our sleeping schedules
  • However, we did not want time zone differences, sleep deprivation and a bad internet connection to hold us back from participating at Atlas Hacks 2020
  • Another challenge that we ran into was that that we had difficulties pulling down parts metadata about the user and allowing it to be apart of the listing and therefore provide contact information to actually complete the trade.
  • Finally, we had extreme difficulties with the loading of Angular components into the DOM after it had initially been loaded. We had to allow the dynamic parts of of the Angular to be responsive within the website so that users could click the buttons in order to make trade. With great difficulty, we were able to solve the issue.

What we learned

  • We learned how to use PHP and the MongoDB database to store information in collections and documents that we could then store and manipulate.
  • We learned to use online APIs in order to extract information, specifically geolocation and various book information.
  • We also learned the difficulties of connecting this middleware and backend to the frontend which needed to be more responsive to fit our needs.
  • We used Angular for the frontend responsiveness and that was something we had to brush up on.
Share this project: