GitHub repository

GitHub link!


We all need some motivation to stay busy during these strange times, so what better way than through a simple scheduler. We wanted to design this functionality through a website as it would be easy to view from a variety of devices and it would be easier to design and program.

What it does

(RESIZE WINDOW when trying it.) Our website is designed to allow users to add a task to a list so that they can make sure they don't forget to do it. The nature of the user's tasks could have varying degrees of priority or purpose so we gave them three simple categories to separate possible tasks: "Schedule," "To-Do," and "Daily." This should in theory be enough separation so that users can easily keep track of what they need to do without being too bloated with options. Our goal is to keep this simple and user friendly, after all.

How we built it

Our team split the project into three main areas: the website, the code for the website, and the look of the website.

The website itself has a registered domain name of "" that we registered through We then used Microsoft Azure to get the website up. Azure has a function to import Github repositories so getting the code to the website was simple enough, but before that could happen we had to set up a sub domain of and set up the SSL to prevent users from getting warnings about security vulnerabilities. With that all set up, the website was ready. The only thing left for this side is to pull the updated code from time to time to see if its working properly.

On the programming side we used html for the bones of the project with CSS for the look and JavaScript for the function of adding and removing tasks.

Finally we chose a coat of paint to give the whole thing. We went for a colorful, calm palette that is reminiscent of a sunset.

Challenges we ran into

On the first day of Knight Hacks, one of our members tested positive for COVID and had to return home, which was an unexpected impediment. Our team was also mostly first time hackers or working on a brand new technology they had no familiarity with. There were a few things we ran into while developing the website itself. For one, we had to learn how to host a website and register a domain. this was relatively simple to figure out and once it was done the issue was out of the way. Other than that we ran into issues when developing the functionality of the website. We used JavaScript to create the function of adding tasks. We ran out of time to figure out what was going wrong, but for some reason, as of now, the user is only able to add and remove tasks from the "Schedule" box of the website.

What we learned

We collectively learned how to set up a website from start to finish and how to use JavaScript. Both things were areas that our team didn't have experience in, so we had to learn in order to finish the project!

What's next for Bonkertivity

We'll work out all the bugs and keep improving on the website one step at a time. We aim to become a useful website for all college students and workers facing the harsh reality of social isolation, but perhaps this project will become useful enough to carry into the future. The ability to rearrange the items in a list and maybe setting up a simple calendar system for repeated weekly tasks. Most of the functionality is already there, but these additions would be useful for sure. As a trilingual the team lead is interested in adding multiple language functionality down the line. Another idea that was too complicated to implement was a timer to prevent spending too much time on "time waster" websites.

Share this project: