These days, all young people want to make a difference. Whether it is making a positive impact in their local community, or thinking of innovative ways to solve the problems of the world's most unfortunate, young people are wishing to donate their time and utilize their talents to help solve social issues.

The problem is that it is unclear where their time or talents could be applied most effectively. There is a communication gap between organizations that are identifying and working to solve social issues and those who would like to help. For organizations, their efforts often go uncommunicated - which doesn't help when it comes to raising funds or gathering support.

Enter - a platform that takes advantage of effective issue tracking and agile methodologies to track social issues and manage actions to solve them.

What it does allows users to identify social issues, identify actions to help solve the issue, and track the issue to completion. It allows individuals to browse the identified social issues to find where they can best apply their talents and have an effective impact. Individuals may choose to take on an action, which they can then complete. Completed actions drive the issue's overall completion percentage - effectively illustrating and quantifying an individual's impact on solving an issue.

How we built it

We built the frontend web application using Vue.js and uikit. Our backend API was built using Standard Library (stdlib) with mongoose.js/MongoDB as our database technology. The website is hosted on Google Firebase Web Hosting with a .tech domain.

Challenges we ran into

Both of us had some experience using Vue.js prior to HW5, however, we experienced challenges in the initial set-up of our frontend project - specifically, configuring the tooling (Vue-Router + Vue-CLI). To our benefit, uikit integration went nearly seamlessly. As neither of us had any experience using Standard Library, there were some notable setbacks to the development of our backend API. Implementing the functions and data models went great, however, we had challenges with the mongoose.js API when making updates to data instances (such as, adding an action to an existing issue).

Accomplishments that we're proud of

  • We had our entire project scoped within the first three hours of the hackathon

What we learned

  • Gained new experience using Standard Library and we will both be using it in future projects
  • Furthered our experience with Vue.js, Node.js, and mongoose.js/MongoDB.

What's next for

We will continue to develop this platform as a side project.

Built With

Share this project: