Wanted to play with Twitter api as well as try to deploy something with docker.
What it does
Tracks the number of positive vs negative tweets that contain a particular search term/tag.
How we built it
It runs a separate Scala/Akka/JVM based dockerized backend hosted on an AWS EC2 instance orchestrated by TumTum (Docker Cloud) which is connected to the Twitter stream. The API lets you chose tags/search terms to follow. When a tweet is matched it is sent to the Azure Text Analytics API for sentiment analysis. A running total of positive vs negative tweets is kept for each search term, available on another API. API GitHub
Challenges we ran into
Staying awake long enough to finish. Getting the Java Twitter4j library to play nicely with Scala - Scala primitives are not always the same. CORS - enabling the backing to take requests from other domains. Many many more...
Accomplishments that we're proud of
It works without crashing \m/ (so far...)
What we learned
Twitter API. Azure API. Akka Actors api. Docker/Tumtum.
What's next for Bits Please
More analytics and persistence of results. Better UI. Tried to use the domain voucher to buy bitsplease.net for the project but domain.com's site was being less than useful. I think I have managed to buy it now, but they won't send me the details to log in.... meh.