- We don't want to miss greeting our friends on their birthday.
- We wanted to build a fun and simple application for our Android Developer Conference Hackathon that utilizes the Office 365 API while incorporating a social aspect.
What it does
Our Android application checks all contacts of a user in Office 365 and checks whether there are any contacts whose birthday falls on today. If there are birthdays today, the user is then able to record a birthday greeting and send them the video through email.
How we built it
We built it with Android Studio using the supplied sample provided by the Office 365 and using the Office 365 API (Microsoft graph api).
Challenges we ran into
Getting set up with the correct credentials and configuration with Office 365 took a little longer than expected. After we got set up, we were able to make the appropriate calls to get the data we needed.
Accomplishments that we're proud of
We're happy to be able to complete our simple hackathon project in time for the noon deadline. We wanted to create a project that was able to be finished in the allotted time.
What we learned
We learned that Office 365 Graph is quite powerful and gives us easy access to a lot of the data used by the Office Suite. In an Enterprise setting, there is endless potential from data visualization in an organization to managing large amount of users quickly.
What's next for Birthday Greetings Video
- Polish the UI
- Move the video attachment over from GMAIL sharing to utilize the Office 365 email attachments. Going forward share Image and Videos on One Drive.
- Save videos for future Birthdays and send then automatically on event.
- Add support for more events like New year, Anniversary etc.
- Add First time user experience module.