The idea for Binge Watch Calculator came about from watching TV shows with friends over breaks. We wanted to finish the show before we all went our separate ways, but sometimes timing ourselves to finish on time took some planning. Additionally, sometimes a show is so good you don’t want it to end. Maybe you want to see how long you can make it last if you only watch 1 or 2 episodes per day. Binge Watch Calculator was created to simplify those calculations and help you find an ideal watch schedule.
What it does
Binge Watch Calculator allows you to easily calculate data on pacing and finishing a show. You can search for names of TV shows, whereby it will bring up suggested matches. Choosing one lets you input the episode you’re about to start, as well as what episode you plan to watch through. From there you have two options. You can either indicate how many episodes you plan to watch per day, and it will calculate the date when you will finish, or you can indicate when you would like to finish (maybe the release date of a new season!), and it will suggest how many episodes you should watch per day to finish by that day.
How we built it
We built it as a React App, using the TVMaze API for data and Styled Components for styling. It is deployed using Netlify.
Challenges we ran into
- Selecting an API that had the data we wanted, but which was free and relatively accessible/not too tedious with authentication. TVMaze was far from the first we found, but it works well!
fetch, and making sure our time increments/dates were accurate. But we figured them out!
Accomplishments that we're proud of
- Proud of Sean for learning React!
- Proud that we were able to successfully debug our date calculation issues
- Proud of the UX flow
What we learned
- We learned React and new ways of using React
What's next for Binge Watch Calculator
- We'd like to show more statistics involving the runtime of episodes, which we have parsed from the TVMaze API.
- Making it mobile responsive
- Adding more error checking when users input their episode information
HBP Slack Handles: @[HACKER] Kyle Smith @[Hacker] Angelina Han @[Hacker] Sean Kolczynski