On site workers can send updates directly to your monday board
App view for vendors to view requirements and details
Companion app which runs on any device makes sharing easier
Notify vendors automatically on changes to your requirements
Share updates and files to everyone from one place keeping communication simple and effective
Invite and compare quotes for your requirements from different vendors
An inline 3D interactive viewer helps you contextualize information
Use QR codes to track your materials across the physical realm
Material information copied to monday board with a single click
Channel all conversations to your monday board and keep it together
One click revit exporter to transfer your information to monday boards
Select schedules you want to sync with your monday board.
Executing a construction project was the most tedious task when I worked as an architect. The same situation is faced by almost everyone in the architecture, engineering and construction(AEC) industry. It's not the task itself but gathering and communicating disparate information between all stakeholders of a project that becomes cumbersome. A lot of the tasks are also pretty repetitive. eg: extract information from design files, send it to vendors for getting their quotes, informing vendors of changes to material quantities, comparing quotes from different vendors etc.
Monday.com seemed like a perfect fit to automate and improve the workflows in this process.
What it does
It takes your material and qunatity data from Autodesk Revit - the most popular Building Information Platform used in the AEC industry - and sends it over to a monday.com board connected to your account.
From here you can take control of different aspects of ensuring timely delivery of these materials.
- An inline 3D view in your monday.com board shows you the information about your materials and quantities in an interactive view. Something even Revit does not allow you to do.
- Use monday.com integrations to invite bids for your quantities. It makes the task really simple as the platform can smartly connect information across different places and allows meaningful automation of mundane tasks.
- Connects your information in the monday environment with a custom built progressive web app which can run on any device. It becomes easy to share information with external contractors and vendors with the convenience of simply updating monday boards.
- Helps you track items that are needed virtually and with physical markers to make sure there is no material wastage and timelines are running on track.
- Simplifies all of the above process when project specifics and quantities change midway.
How I built it
Plugin to export schedule information from Revit to monday.com boards.
https://bill-and-mat.herokuapp.com Companion web app which links with user's monday.com boards to share information with external teams.
Model View - monday.com Board View
An interactive 3D explorer for your AEC projects. View models within your board to locate schedule items and share with your team for effective communication.
Model View - monday.com Vendors View
View information on vendors assigned to contact for quotes on items and their delivery schedule. Submitted quotes can be easily compared and purchase orders dispatched from this view.
Notify Schedule Changes - monday.com Integration
Notifies your vendors about changes to schedule items. Sync from your Revit projects after design changes to trigger this integration and automatically notify your vendors.
QR Code - monday.com Item View
Item view to display QR code for item. Use it like a bar code for your item to track it throughout the life-cycle of the line-item for the duration of the project.
Challenges I ran into
Getting the 3D viewer to work in a friendly way turned out to be a daunting task.
Accomplishments that I'm proud of
The UX portion turned out really great where I personify the features as two characters who help the user out.
- Install revit plugin
- Export from Revit
- How use monday 3d model viewer
- How to setup vendor communication automations
- How to use vendor boardview to compare quotes
- How to use issue purchase orders from monday board
- How to use item tracking and monday board communication
What I learned
Lots of takeaways here. Working across 2 different languages and programming environments was an interesting challenge.
What's next for Bill and Matt
I would like to build more integrations and add features for automated change detection. Set it up on a custom domain.