Here at Purdue, there's a strange tendency for bikes to end up on trees. That might be fun for some people. It isn't fun for other people. So we made an app for those other people, to find their missing bikes, by relying on some other, other people.
What it does
The app relies on crowd-sourced data regarding lost items to help users find those missing items. A user can either upload a picture of an item or browse through the list of items. In the case of uploading a picture, location data would be attached with it, allowing users to find the items by location.
How we built it
We built the app using Android Studio for the main-line app development through efficient teamwork, as well as incorporating a database for images and text through FireBase.
Challenges we ran into
While there were a variety of challenges, among the toughest were learning the nuances of Android Studio especially on the front-end as everyone was working on it for the first time, challenges in properly uploading images to FireBase and acquiring the download URL for those images, and figuring out how to map the points. We also attempted to add location data with each picture, but unfortunately due to critical issues resulting in a bottleneck on the development of the project, we were unable to do so.
Accomplishments that we're proud of
We improved on our GitHub skills and tackled a project of this scope with immediate cooperation, and we're proud of our ability to have so much of the app operational despite being newcomers to both main frameworks that we used.
What we learned
We learned a lot about using Android Studio and FireBase, as well as the basics of mobile app development. We also attempted to incorporate Google Maps, and although unsuccessful we learned a lot about working with external APIs.
What's next for BikeFinder
Incorporating some mapping functionality to allow users to track and get directions to their missing item, and also properly incorporate coordinate data to accurately acquire the precise location of said missing item.