While under lockdown, our families are looking for fun, wholesome ways to grow together in our Bible learning. As a Kids Church teacher, I play Bible Baseball with our class, and thought we could hack together a HTML/CSS version that families could pull up on their living room TV and play together or even FaceTime in other families to compete against. On March 28 we had a small hack-a-thon to see what we could come up with. And BibleBaseball.app was born.
What it does
It simulates a baseball game, with Bible Trivia as the determining factor for Hits and Outs.
How I built it
Challenges I ran into
The biggest challenge, is coming up with the questions. For a decent game of 9 innings of Baseball, we figure we need at least 100 questions. To that end, we also hacked together a "Draft a Question" portal at https://draft.biblebaseball.app where anyone can submit a question.
Accomplishments that I'm proud of
Spending time with my son, teaching him programming, and impressing him with what we can do with a few lines of code.
What I learned
Bible Trivia can be fun!
What's next for Bible Baseball
We need the community to submit questions! Maybe your question will be drafted NUMBER ONE OVERALL! :) https://draft.biblebaseball.app
DEVELOPMENT ROADMAP INCLUDES:
- Question Timer Mode - When enabled, questions have a countdown timer, that speeds up the time required to answer a question, in Major League (10sec), Minor League (30sec), and Little League (90 sec) options.
- Umpire Mode - As the countdown timer is ⅓ done: pop up a “STRIKE 1!” onscreen, as the timer is ⅔ done: pop up a “STRIKE 2!”, and of course a “STRIKE 3!” When the timer expires, and an out registered.
- Custom Team Names - provide the ability for teams to modify their display name.
- Custom Team Colors - provide a simple color picker, to change the colors of the teams.
- Real-time network play
- Multiplayer support
- In-game text chat
- Family team online registration
- Standings + stats