Currently, there are many youtube videos on fitness but there is no one to correct the person learning from the video if they make any incorrect move. It is usually a one-way communication. This leads to many injuries especially for beginners and it is also one of the deterring factors among people who want to learn a new fitness regime. Also, as a fitness expert, your outreach is often limited due to language limitations and distance. There are many yoga teachers in India who are among the best but their spoken language is Hindi which becomes a language barrier for people in the west. We envision a healthy society where any fitness expert can teach anyone without the barriers of language and distance with AI-powered application. Idea was to build an application that can bring such fitness experts to your home.
What it does
We have built an AI-powered fitness application. It will correct your posture if you make a wrong move while learning from the fitness expert in the video. It will translate the video in your native language so that each and every instruction is crystal clear. Thus, having a personal trainer at your disposal. The application offers a list of fitness programs and their experts. A student gets to choose a program and a language of their choice. Each program has a set of lessons before you get a completion certificate. Each lesson has a video of the expert where he/she will teach an exercise/asana. Each video will be divided into steps so that it is easy for the student to follow. After each step, the student will be given some time to imitate the steps shown by the instructor. AI pose detector will closely monitor the moves of the student and correct the student if they have incorrect posture. It will try to match the student’s posture with the instructor and give you a thumbs up if you do it correctly.
How we built it
- Transfer learning on Google’s PoseNet to identify the postures in the video.
- Google Speech-to-Text and Google Text-to-Speech APIs to translate the audio of the expert in the video to the native language of the student.
## Challenges we ran into
- Normalize different body shapes so that correct instructions can be given to the student.
- Transfer learning on Google PoseNet model to make correct prediction of the joints in the body
- Getting the model and all APIs up and running within the short timeframe.
Accomplishments that we're proud of
- Seamless end to end product where a beginner can start learning any fitness program with AI-powered personal trainer
- Making the learning experience from videos more engaging and easier to understand
- A business model for trainers. Any trainer can join our platform and have a global outreach by creating their fitness program on our application.
What we learned
- We did some research and found a way to normalize different body types
- Transfer learning for pose detection
- Integration of Google Cloud APIs with our application
What's next for BeFit
- Adding a workflow for Fitness experts so that they can easily create an account in our application and upload their videos.
- Creating a business model that will connect fitness experts to our application users based on a subscription model
- Creating a Wellness Index: Take feedback from customers with sentiment analysis. This will help us understand the mental state of the person before and after taking a fitness lesson.