In the 21st Century, more and more, communication is done with images and gifs. While meme culture can be dismissed as silly and frivolous, between friends some thoughts and feelings are best expressed with meaningful images. In this case, the standard :laughing: or :crying: fall short by a mile. We wanted a better way to use our collected library of images as naturally as we would an emoji.
What it does
Allows you to bind ANY image or GIF to a user defined tag to reuse later in different messages.
How we built it
- Node.js Runtime
- Discord.js API Acccess
- Google Appengine Serverless Hosting
- Imgur Image Hosting
- Google Cloud Datastore Server -> Tag -> Image Mapping
Challenges we ran into
- Message formatting issues.
- Control flow.
- AppEngine deployment.
- Command Parsing
Accomplishments that we're proud of
- It works, better than we expected.
- Its good enough that we will use it in our personal Discord server.
What we learned
- Server side JS
- Asynchronous requests
- Google Datastore
What's next for BEEmoji
- Bindable arbitrary embeddables
- Bindable macros
- Hooking into image processing api to allow user side quick edits
- Rollout plan to enable free use for anyone