BasicSloth came with the recognition that there needs to be an effect ground communication method for people in unstable situations. BasicSloth attempts to tackle this issue in a few ways including:
- Using technology which allows for simple PGP encryption and decryption. This allows messages to only be unlocked by those intended.
- Using cheap radio systems that cost thousands of dollars less than "safe" military methods, which may have more vulnerabilities than our system.
- Using radios that can be used on a huge variety of frequencies, preventing blockers from hindering the transferring of information.
Basic Sloth consists of four main components, which are:
- Data entry and encryption - This was done using TK for the gui, and Keybase for data encryption.
- Speech to Text - This was accomplished using Nuance speech to text technology.
- Sending - This was accomplished using a simple file read of the information input, as well as frequency modulation.
- Receiving - This was accomplished using GnuRadio, as well as demodulation and 'segmentation'
We give a special thanks to the Nuance team for their assistance with speech to text. We also give a large thanks to the FSF and the GnuRadio team for continuing to support open source tools that allowed us to continue this project.