Moving the design to production
We wanted to build an autonomous robot with fun features.
What it does
It's a little robot that can be controlled with the phone and when some event happens the robot triggers fun things :)
How we built it
The robot part was built using Arduino. The application was built using dart and flutter. We connected both parts using a Go server inside a raspberry pi. The raspberry is in charge of reading and sending data to the application and the robot.
Challenges we ran into
- Powering the whole system, we had to assembly our DIY power supply using duct tape and 4 AA batteries.
- The communication between all elements of the system
- Making unknown hardware to work
- Adapting the projects to the hardware availability, initially we wanted the robot to have a camera and follow people.
Accomplishments that we're proud of
- We built an application using modern frameworks and material design standards although we had no idea about frontend.
- The mounting of the robot is really decent despite not having the possibility to solder.
- We built a scalable concurrent server that handles and syncs all the elements of the system.
- Being able to overcome all hardware issues such as bad battery connector and not having the possibility to solder.
What we learned
- We learned a lot of frontend app design.
- To use new sensors that we haven't use before.
- To write a server in Go that communicates with clients via a REST API and an Arduino via serial concurrently
What's next for Baby Embeded
*Being able to follow people which was our original idea. *Get assembled using 3d print parts and soldering so the system can be reliable.