Inspiration

The motivation for this project was our neighbor asking if we could create something to make it easier for blind children. She works with visually impaired children in the school district and expand how something like this could be of use to them. We set out to create a easy to use device that would translate ascii text into braille characters and print them individually on the reader. This project involved much work on the hardware side and software to get B-reader functioning.

What it does

Our device serves as a interface between a blind person and a computer. Ascii characters are converted to braille for the reader to interpret

How we built it

​The frame of was made out of 1/2 inch wood. We cut it down to form a 6 inch by 4 inch rectangular box. It was glued together and the servos were placed on a 1/2 inch square rod. Next, using generic hook up wire, we twisted two pieces together to form a connecting rod. The connecting rod translated the rotational motion from the servos to the lateral motion push rods. The connecting rods were soldering to the push rods and the opposite ends were hooked into the servo arms.

Challenges we ran into

An issue we ran into was serial communication from the python program to the Arduino. It takes a array of bytes but were were passing in a byte at a time.

While wiring in the servo motors to the braille pins we ran into an issue of our solder joints breaking on the moving arms. To solve this we applied more heat to make sure it wasn't a cold joint.

Accomplishments that we're proud of

The high quality craftsmanship of a oak wood facade surrounded by electronics.

What we learned

Some Braille.

What's next for B-Reader: The Braille Kindle

Make the system smaller by using solenoids instead of servo motors.

Built With

Share this project:
×

Updates