The main inspiration to build this effect is how much potencial AR technology has to be used for education and culture. We believe that is by interacting with this type of technologies that people can grow interest in different topics and by having the correct content everybody can learn faster, interesting themselves into any topic available to explore in AR.

What it does

Our effect is a virtual museum, that allows the user to visualize different relics and ruins of the Aztec and Mayan civilizations. The user can actually manipulate the statues as if they have them in their table, tap on diferent parts of the stones to open some information cards and photos to learn about them. The affect allows the user to explore a map of Tulum (a Mayan city) with information about the ruins and the civilization itself.

How I built it

I built it using the Spar AR editor and some free assets in the sketchfab catalog. No other technologies were involved in the development of the effect.

Challenges I ran into

We actually had some difficulties importing audio files into the editor, we wanted to add some audio information about the statues and places for the user to hear.

Accomplishments that I'm proud of

We are proud on how the content is displayed on the effect, how the user can explore the map and the relics to learn by interacting with them.

What I learned

That it is pretty easy to deliver this type of content to the world by using this technology; before this we used to build AR applications that needed to be installed on the device, but with SparkAR the same content can be delivered only through the Facebook camera, no need to install additional apps.

What's next for Aztec & Mayan Virtual Museum

We are thinking on adding more content to the effect, particulary to add a "window to the underworld" as the Aztecs myths describe, using 3D occlusion and creating an ocluded room that can be viewed through a "window" placed on the ground to explore how the underworld was concieved by the Aztecs.

Built With

  • sparkar
Share this project: