- We wanted to build something integrating both hardware and software. By utilizing the new Leap Motion platform we were able to achieve this goal.
What it does
- Simulates a 3D Asteroids game using your hand a spaceship to avoid obstacles.
How we built it
Challenges we ran into
- Learning three.js was difficult due to our lack of experience with the framework.
Accomplishments that we're proud of
- Learning three.js just enough to feel comfortable using it again in a personal or professional project.
What we learned
- Three.js is a very powerful framework and should be considered for WebGL projects. The Leap Motion is an amazing and inexpensive platform for capturing high fidelity hand poses. The range of motion and gesture support we tapped in to while developing AstroRun barely scratched the surface of what the Leap is capable of. We hope to utilize this hardware for future projects.
What's next for AstroRun
- AstroRun was a proof-of-concept 3D WebGL for us. We wanted to dive in to a mostly unknown framework and try to do something meaningful with it. With our experience gained from this project, we will probably move on to other, unrelated projects.