We wanted to make learning a new language interactive, for children and adults alike!
What it does
Through Real-time image recognition, users are able learn new things by simply pointing their cell phone camera at the object. Once the object is identified, its information will be displayed on the screen in the language chosen (accompanied with more details, e.g. a Panda - A bear native to south central China. It is easily recognized by the large, distinctive black patches around its eyes, over the ears, and across its round body).
Challenges we ran into
- Learning how to set up NodeJS with no prior experience
- Refining the results from Clarifai to provide a more accurate image prediction
- Learning Cordova and corresponding plugins from scratch
What we learned
- Perseverance, task management, team work
- API implementation
- Back-end Node JS server setup
- Implementing the Cordova ecosystem, to be able to port to iOS and Android
- Linking/integrating Clarifai, Cordova, Nuance API and more into one cohesive app