We wanted to create a tool which helps people to learn languages quickly and easily. The Ariel tool can be used anywhere at anytime and lets you discover your environment in a new way.
What it does
- Take a picture and upload the photo to the Ariel page
- Choose the language you would like to translate to
- Receive the translated word of the object in the photo and some sample sentences for you to use yourself! Easy.
How we built it
- CamFind API for the object recognition
- Google Books API to refine the CamFind output
- Google Translate API to translate the given word into your target language
HavenOnDemand Query Text Index API to search for the relevant Wikipedia page in your chosen language
Python scripts were used to run the APIs
php was used to combine the API scripts and to handle image upload
html and css to create a user-friendly front-end platform
Challenges we ran into
The wifi was initially less than ideal! Towards the end we ran out of time to link up the back end and the front end of the project.
Accomplishments that we're proud of
We have all learnt a lot (in particular about how to use APIs! Thank you mentors!!) and we are really proud that we finished with a product that looks similar to how we envisaged it at the start.