We were deeply inspired by the recent events of the US election. With such sophisticated a new technologies of the 21st century we thought elections could be done better in a way no one could dispute. As electronic voting schemes are becoming popular in the last decade, and they are still unsolved. E-voting schemes bring problems mainly regarding security, credibility, transparency, reliability, and functionality.
What it does
As an effort to bring transparency, fairness, and truth to elections, we decided to build AngelVote, a platform to facilitate decentralized voting. Transparency of the whole process and the voters’ security and privacy thanks to homomorphic encryption.
It is fully utilized by blockchain and all processes can be handled within it. After the start of the voting, the platform behaves as fully independent and decentralized without possibilities to affect the voting process. The data are fully transparent, but the identity of voters is secured.
- Election operators dashboard to create Simple, Multichoice and Ranked voting elections
- Specify if voting is open to public or limited
- QR Code Voting Invites to vote
- BlockChain Secured Voting
- OAuth Authenticated Voter Registry
- Facial Capture and Recognition
- Signatures Capture and Recognition
- Mobile OTP verification
- Vote Casting Page that adds your vote to the block chain
- Block chain visual of where your vote is in the block chain
- Block chain visual of the entire block chain for each election
- Live view of election results
- Count down of the current election time remaining
How we built it
NextJS like crazy and React. Using the NextJS serverless functions hosted on Vercel connected to serverless functions on Google Cloud to do blockchain ops and connect to Mongo. Firestore, firebase storage for local caching and firebase auth.
Challenges we ran into
Prettier whitespace change merge conflicts CORS on Google Cloud Functions SSG tries to parse all paths but we have a backend that's too complicated and inconsistent data
What we learned
- We were inspired by the NextJS workshop and really used all of the deeper functionality that we had never tried out before like SSR and SSG
- We also applied a whole lot of tailwind we learned at a workshop
- Both the Computational modeling workshop and machine learning workshop helped us create our backend with blockchain and facial/signature recognition models
Accomplishments that we're proud of
Biggest app we've ever made
What's next for Angel's Vote
Fix up all our missing UI We could allow CSV to upload to support larger voter lists Voter registration page vs auto registration on first vote