Samsung S-Pen SDK wrapper library
A Samsung S-Pen library for Android that handles most of the common use cases with a single class only with much reduced complexity compared with Samsung SDK Pen package.
- Pen of various styles, colors and adjustable size
- Eraser of adjustable size
- Undo, redo
- Scroll automatically when the pen is hovering near an edge of the canvas
- Replay of strokes with different speed
- Instance thumbnail generation
- Multi-page support
- Re-order pages
- Color background
- Image background
- Supported events:
- Draw using S-Pen or finger
Your target users will need to install the S-Pen SDK package before they can use any Pen features. In the official sample code, the user will be redirected to Google Play Store to download the SDK package developed by Samsung. This library handles this for you and prompt the user for any necessary action.
Note: If you plan to submit your app to Samsung Seller Office, they may sometimes reject your submission because your app links to external store (i.e. download Samsung Pen SDK from Google Play Store). You will need to explain to them that this is required as documented in their official sample code.
Using the wrapper
PenService.init(canvasWidth, canvasHeight, backgroundColor, backgroundImagePath, fittingMode, initialPenColor, initialPenSize, initialEraserSize);
- You need to create a drawing canvas of a specific dimensions. The dimension cannot be changed later.
- You can either specify a background color or background image but not both. The background color is ignored if a background image is specified.
fittingModespecifies how to fit the background image (best-fit, scaled, cropped, etc.)
- You need to specify the initial pen color and size, and eraser size.
Create a new drawing
PenService.appendPage(backgroundColor, backgroundImagePath, fittingMode);
- You need to append a page before you can draw on the canvas.
Load an existing drawing
- This will load a .spd file to the canvas
- If you want the drawing to be read-only, set
false. This is useful if you want to replay the strokes only.
truewill initialize the history stack, which consumes more RAM so use this wisely.
After you created a new drawing or loaded an existing drawing, you are ready to drawing on it. Users can draw using S-Pen, if any. For devices without S-Pen, they can draw using their fingers.
This library provides various ready-to-use tools, including pen, eraser, undo, redo, zoom, and replay. You can use these tools by using the provided UI, or by invoking the APIs directly.
A demo app is provided so you know what you can expect from this library.
This demo shows you how to:
- Create a new drawing
- Load an existing drawing
- Update thumbnail instantly
- Undo, redo
- Save any changes
Samsung does not specify which devices are supported. Currently this library has been tested on:
- Galaxy S5
- Galaxy S4
- Galaxy S3
- Galaxy S2
- Galaxy Note 3
- Galaxy Note 3 Neo
- Galaxy Note 2
- Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014 Edition)
- Galaxy NotePro 12.2
- Galaxy Camera
- Galaxy NX
- Galaxy Mega 6.3
- Galaxy Nexus
- Galaxy Premier
- Galaxy J
- Galaxy Grand 2
- Galaxy Round
- Galaxy TabPro 8.4
- Galaxy TabPro 10.1
- Galaxy TabPro 12.2
- Minimum canvas size is 480 x 800
- The canvas size you initialize
PenServicewith cannot be changed later