ALIAneS Emulation Project
- Michael Kafarowski
- Project start date : March 10th 2015
- Frame for each opcode created; now I just need to fill in the actual operations
I have a tier'd goal structure for this project:
- Bronze: Achieve CPU emulation
- Silver: Achieve PPU emulation. Games should run at >5 frames per second
- Gold: Add very basic mapper support. Games should approach comfortable speeds if not already.
- Platinum: Add more mapper support and APU emulation. Games should run at or higher than full speed.
- CPU - Central Processing Unit : The chip that takes care of reading and executing instructions that appear in memory.
- PPU - Pixel Processing Unit : The chip that accepts commands from the CPU and using special tables in its own memory, takes care of drawing sprites and backgrounds to the screen.
- APU - Audio Processing Unit : Takes care of the game sound generation.
- More defined terms coming soon.
This is a project I am undertaking to learn more about a lot of things: advanced C++ coding, emulation, assembly language... etc. I am having a lot of fun with the development of this software as well, and regardless of how the final product turns out, this has already proven to be an amazing learning experience.