Why we choose treasure finding?
- We decided on a game due to the engaging factor it provides.
- As the topic given to us was pirates, they are most commonly associated with treasure chests and living on a ship. We thus decided that the goal of the game would be to find a treasure.
- Based on that, we then formulate various sections that can be implemented in the game.
What games inspired us for the various sections of the game?
- Fishing game → Backstory that the pirates were hungry and thus, decided to fish for food but ended up fishing a bottle that contained a treasure map
- Map Navigation → The most logical flow after finding the map is to navigate to get to the destination
- Obstacles faced along the way → On the way to navigate to the location stated on the map, the pirates are bound to face many problems, and 2 were chosen by our team, being avoidance of other pirates and stone avoidance
- Digging → Once arriving on the island, the pirates would then have to dig for the treasure
🔍 What it does
Ahoy Matey's is a game that takes us through the journey of pirates finding a treasure chest filled with gold.
- This game is divided into mainly 4 sections
- Fishing → to fish for a treasure map contained in the bottle
- Map Navigation → to get to the island
- Stone Avoidance → if a pirate ship hits stones, the ship has the potential to sink
- Digging → to find the treasure
🔧 How we built it
- The game is divided into 4 sections. As our team has 4 people, thus we divided it such that each person takes 1 section.
- A variety of applications were used such as
- Visual Studio Code
🏃♂️ Challenges we ran into
- Not being familiar with CSS and CSS animations.
- It was challenging to come up with a good storyline within the short time constraint. Moreover, it was difficult to think of ways to make each of the story components interactive and fun.
- With every new library used, there is also the challenge of learning how the library works, and how it can be utilized to create new things.
🏅 Accomplishments that we're proud of
- Made a game that works.
- Completing at least the MVP of what we wanted to achieve.
- We managed to integrate our components into 1 continuous experience and host it too.
🧠 What we learned
- Web animation
- Teamwork makes the dream work :)
- This was also our first time working with Create.js and its sub components.
⏭️ What's next for Ahoy Matey
- As it is quite obvious that some parts of the game are not complete and lack visual factor, we hope that we can refine our current features.
- Inclusion of more storyline levels and fun minigames.
- Improvement of graphics, some of which were cut due to the time constraints.
- We also hope that we can add new features and make our website more interactive!