Originally an app for garbage cleanup, we decided to pick the next closest thing: Hollywood actors! We wanted a quick and easy way to rank them based on the preferences of multiple users.
No, but seriously. Originally, this app would be an app for encouragement of community garbage cleanup. Due to disagreements about this subject within the team, we decided to keep the planned framework but change the theme to one of competitive one-upping your friends (Hence the repo name, "TopThis"). However, we found that this relied too heavily on skills and resources we did not have, and decided to keep the image sharing and voting aspect only. That is how ActR was born.
What it does
Displays images of actors and asks users to vote them up or down. Once a user has voted on a certain number of images, the results are tallied and added to the overall rank.
How we built it
Challenges we ran into
Accomplishments that we're proud of
What we learned
- How to make a node.js web application
- How to use the Express framework
- How NoSQL databases work
- How to host on Amazon Web Services
What's next for ActR
- Connect to some form of API to grab images of actors from recent releases
- Account creation + user uploaded images using FireBase
- Connect Azure Machine Learning to predict if movies will be good or bad based on the cast