Inspiration

We were inspired by the situation that many students as well as ourselves are currently in with having to learn virtually during the pandemic, and wanted to create something to help with productivity. We can relate to feeling distracted while doing work, so we created Access Blocker to limit the amount of distraction we allow ourselves to experience.

What it does

Access Blocker, is a chrome web extension that blocks websites for a specified amount of time.

How we built it

Our group communicated over discord to establish our idea, divide roles, and assist one another with the project. We used Visual Studio Code as an IDE, with the basics of the extension created using manifest.json. The brains of the program is coded with javascript, the aesthetic elements with css, and some of the structural elements with html.

Challenges we ran into

Some of the challenges we encountered was a lack of availability we had to work on the project. Some of us were busy so we were unable to communicate as often as we would have liked. As well as this, we sometimes ran into issues with the extension missing a button or throwing an error, so a lot of troubleshooting was involved.

Accomplishments that we're proud of

We are proud of the overall composition and execution of the project. We were not super familiar with creating a chrome web extension, but throughout these two days, we did a lot of research to build our understanding of the concepts involved.

What we learned

We learned more about the three languages used in the project as well as the general composition and structure of a chrome web extension. We learned how to customize the overall look and navigation of the pages and popups, and how best to organize our project files.

What's next for Access Blocker

There is a lot that can be done with this project, including the implementation of a password lock. This would allow for the user to only be able to unblock a website by entering a password first. As well as this, we could definitely spend more time on the aesthetics of the project.

Built With

Share this project:

Updates