You have another 3-hour online lecture, but you’re feeling sick and your teacher doesn’t post any notes. You don’t have any friends that can help you, and when class ends, you leave the meet with a blank document. The thought lingers in your mind “Will I ever pass this course?”
If you experienced a similar situation in the past year, you are not alone. Since COVID-19, there have been many struggles for students. We created AcadeME to help students who struggle with paying attention in class, missing class, have a rough home environment, or just want to get ahead in their studies. We decided to build a project that we would personally use in our daily lives, and the problem AcadeME tackled was the perfect fit.
🔍 What it does
First, our AI-powered summarization engine creates a set of live notes based on the current lecture. Next, there are toggle features for simplification, definitions, and synonyms which help you gain a better understanding of the topic at hand. You can even select text over videos! Finally, our intuitive web app allows you to easily view and edit previously generated notes so you are never behind.
⭐ Feature List
- Dashboard with all your notes
- Summarizes your lectures automatically
- Select/Highlight text from your online lectures
- Organize your notes with intuitive UI
- Utilizing Google Firestore, you can go through your notes anywhere in the world, anytime
- Text simplification, definitions, and synonyms anywhere on the web
- DCP, or Distributing Computing was a key aspect of our project, allowing us to speed up our computation, especially for the Deep Learning Model (BART), which through parallel and distributed computation, ran 5 to 10 times faster.
⚙️ Our Tech Stack
- Chrome Extension: Chakra UI + React.js, Vanilla JS, Chrome API,
- Web Application: Chakra UI + React.js, Next.js, Vercel
- Backend: AssemblyAI STT, DCP API, Google Cloud Vision API, DictionariAPI, NLP Cloud, and Node.js
- Infrastructure: Firebase/Firestore
🚧 Challenges we ran into
- Completing our project within the time constraint
- There was many APIs to integrate, making us spend a lot of time debugging
- Working with Google Chrome Extension, which we had never worked with before.
✔️ Accomplishments that we're proud of
- Learning how to work with Google Chrome Extensions, which was an entirely new concept for us.
- Leveraging Distributed Computation, a very handy and intuitive API, to make our application significantly faster and better to use.
📚 What we learned
- The Chrome Extension API is incredibly difficult, budget 2x as much time for figuring it out!
- Working on a project where you can relate helps a lot with motivation
- Chakra UI is legendary and a lifesaver
- The Chrome Extension API is very difficult, did we mention that already?
🔭 What's next for AcadeME?
- Implementing a language translation toggle to help international students
- Note Encryption
- Note Sharing Links
- A Distributive Quiz mode, for online users!